Quilting is beautiful and a versatile sewing technique. It was the challenging sewing technique in the earlier era, but quilting machines have made the quilting procedure easy and handy nowadays. Anyone can quilt now with the help of quilting machines. You might have heard that their working is not problematic until it is on a large scale, and it is true. People know that the primary function found in every sewing machine is the needle, a motor to drive the needle up and down with the help of a foot pedal. Then thread moves with your needle and sew the fabric.
Working on a regular sewing machine is more accessible, but with a quilting machine, the scenario is different. The quilting machine comprises numerous types of stitching, including the decorative stitch, embroidery abilities, and more. And for these, you might require to learn how to use them. In this article, we will discuss a brief on the working of quilting machines.
How Do Quilting Machines Work?
As we told you, those regular sewing machines are easier to use and nowadays, the machines have changed dramatically in terms of functionalities and features. A quilting machine is a bit of a simple straight sewing machine but more giant. It offers the single stitch type, the straight stitch.
Also, it doesn’t own any needle to be moved upward or downward and no feed dogs. Instead, everything is about its powerful motor and the exclusive way the quilter moves the machine over your fabric. Here is the detail on how a quilting machine works.
- You need to buy a quality quilting machine to cater to all your quilting requirements in the first step. There are various products in the market, and you need to select the one that offers advanced features and positive reviews from the customers.
- Now, the quilting machine consists of a sewing head used to make an opening for your fabric to set beneath it. This giant opening in the quilting machine allows quilters to manipulate their quilts with ease. It is challenging to shove the bulk of your quilt via the throat or the opening of the regular sewing machine. You can also use a large size fabric for quilting as the machine has a massive opening.
- The standing quilting machine is on wheels, with the track on the extensive table about 10 to 14 feet long and 5 feet wide. Now you need to attach the layers of different poles on that table to create the sandwich of your fabric on the throat. It will also allow the fabric to move around that extensive table.
- Next, you will have the two rollers attached to either end of your machine, known as a feeder board. They are the muslin leaders where the top and backing of the quilt stays. The fabric requires a snap system, zippers, or sewing pins to attach to the stretch.
- You can also think of the giant machine doodler that handles how to move the quilting machine over your fabric and create exclusive designs. The latest long arm quilting machine arrives with a robotic arm supporting the computer designs. You can insert your design, and the machine will create the pattern or design over your fabric.
- You can also control or monitor the movement of your machine with the help of the stitch regulator. With this, you can control its speed and focus on the design part.
- If you are a beginner, you must begin with free motion quilting. For beginners, the machine has pantographs and rulers that are easy to use.
This is how the quilting machine works. At the same time, the quilting machine is nothing but a massive straight stitching machine on wheels. It has numerous possibilities and makes your creativity go beyond the limit. For example, you can paint your threads with different colors or move them to draw designs. Also, you can make fiber art, sew with the wash-away stabilizer, and create art creations. Yes. With a quilting machine, you can create fabulous quilts and make numerous art projects.